Parenting is the most important and challenging
job that most adults undertake
Few parents, even in the best circumstances, do not feel frustrated at times by the demands of raising children. But when parents are isolated, involved in difficult relationships, experiencing financial stress, or lacking information on child development and child-rearing techniques, they can lose control.
Informed, effective child rearing builds strong communities by producing young people who work hard to create positive lives for themselves and those around them. Uninformed, ineffective child rearing jeopardizes the well-being of whole communities. Parent Support Services is a non-profit, volunteer-based society and registered charity founded in 1974. The mandate is preventing child abuse and promoting healthy parent-child relationships by supporting parenting, families, and communities. This is achieved by providing support and information to parents. The goal is building healthy communities, one family at a time.
Parent Support Services Workshops:
Workshops and events
We have held many parenting workshops in the past and are looking forward to hosting more. Stay tuned for updates.
Topics our workshops have covered in the past included:
- Anger & Stress: Parent & Child Relationships
- Mental Health: Building Resilience in Our Children
- Circle of Security
- Registered Education Savings Plans & Education Grant Workshop
- Understanding Children & Technology
- Body Science: When, Why, and How to Talk to Our Children About Sex
- The Essence of Adolescence: Parenting Teens and Teening Parent
- Parenting and The Whole Brain Child
Other Kinship Care Resources
Useful Legal Links:
- Legal Services Society of BC has a great family law website – http://www.familylaw.lss.bc.ca/ – There is a special section for grandparents.
- JP Boyd on Family, written in plain language and provides practical, in-depth coverage of family law and divorce law in British Columbia.
- Clicklaw Wikibooks help the public in British Columbia find and use legal information.
- Family Justice Centres operate across BC to provide services to British Columbians going through separation or divorce. Each centre is staffed by accredited Family Justice Counsellors, specially trained to help families with parenting arrangements, contact with a child, guardianship, and support issues. They can help parents resolve disagreements without going to court. They provide short-term counselling, mediation, emergency and community referrals and other free services.
- “Your Rights on Reserve – a Legal Tool-kit for Aboriginal Women in BC. “ Tool-kit created by Aboriginal women, for Aboriginal women. Click here to download: Your Rights on Reserve – a Legal Tool-kit for Aboriginal Women in British Columbia
Criminal Record Check for Out-of-Care Care Providers
- To view the handout, please click Criminal-Record-Check
Books on Grandparents & Kinship Care can be found at your local library:
We provide support for all family members and friends. We work to create an environment of understanding so our gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender children can live with dignity and respect. PFLAG Vancouver
Family Services of Greater Vancouver
FSGV’s Family Support page includes: Resources for: Intensive Family Support; Child Development; and Foster Family Support (Also available for GRG Families)
Our goal is to empower parents through our educational parenting courses, workshops, books and videos, by providing effective parenting tools for a child’s development of self-esteem, empathy, responsibility, and values, rather than obedience and conformity. lifeseminars.com
Parent Services Boys and Girls Clubs of BC
Parent Services currently offers Parents Together a support group for parent of teens and Parenting Without Power Struggles a support group for parents of preteens across the province of BC. boysandgirlsclubsbc.ca
Canadian Coalition for Immunization Awareness & Promotion (CCIAP)
CCIAP is a partnership of national non-governmental, professional, health, consumer, government and private sector organizations with a specific interest in promoting the understanding and use of vaccines recommended by the National Advisory Committee on Immunization. Click here
Centre of Excellence for Child Welfare
Centre of Excellence for Child Welfare is a national agency funded by Public Health Agency of Canada. Our mission is to foster research and disseminate knowledge on child welfare and prevention of child abuse and neglect. We have a link to your site on our website under provincial and territorial resources. cecw-cepb.ca
BC Council for Families
Leadership through education, training advocacy and research for the healthy development of families. www.bccf.ca
Vancouver February Parenting Workshop
Click on the button below to view parenting workshops in Vancouver – when available.