Volunteers are essential to our mission.
Be a part of our community of volunteers who are enthusiastic, think big, support our mission and are willing to help us achieve our ambitious goals. Join our committees to be part of the planning, coordinating, and executing of special events & fundraising initiatives!
Fundraising Committee Member – (Click here for more details)
Grandparents Day Picnic Volunteer
We are looking for enthusiastic, energetic and friendly volunteers to join us at Slocan Park, in Vancouver BC for the fun-filled Grandparents Day Picnic Fundraiser on September 10th, 2023 from 9AM – 3PM.
There will be several stations set up throughout the event site, which could include any of the following volunteer roles. Volunteer Roles may include:
- Setup & take down crew
- Welcome Crew/Greeters
- Photographer/photobooth attendants
- Kids Activity Table Attendants
- Face painters
- Balloon Artists
- Board Games Table attendants
- Food Station attendants (Food Safe required)
- First Aid attendants (First Aid required)
Detailed descriptions of stations will be provided once volunteer registration is complete. Volunteers will be provided with light snacks and refreshments.
- Complete tasks assigned by event coordinators and on as needed basis
- Set up and take down of the site materials (tables, signage, products, etc.)
- Observe rules and safety regulations while carrying out tasks
- At least 16 years old
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- A willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Complete a criminal record check for the vulnerable sector
- Ability to bend, twist, and lift a maximum of 30 lbs.; accommodations can be discussed
- Ability to speak multiple languages is an asset
- Food Safe may be required for certain roles
- First Aid Certification may be required for certain roles
Board of Directors & Steering Committee Members
Be a part of our Board and Steering Committees. Support our mission and help us achieve our ambitious goals!
Board of Directors
Board of Directors are volunteers. Be a part of Parent Support Services Board of Directors, and be involved in the long-term, big-picture mission of PSS. To apply, click on the following link. Click here to apply.
Steering committee members support our Group Programs by providing knowledge and ideas and connecting with the local communities we serve. Connect with others, strengthen your community, and make an impact on the lives of others, with opportunities for professional development and networking.
Are you someone who loves to support their local communities? Are you a part of the following communities in the Lower Mainland: Hispanic/Spanish, Chinese, or Filipino? We are looking for Volunteer Steering Committee Members!
Volunteer Support Group Facilitators
Volunteer facilitators are the backbone of our program. These volunteers work with our Parenting Support Groups which meet across the province, in different languages and with diverse caregivers. During COVID-19, our volunteer facilitators are running support groups online. Apply here!
What is a Support Group Facilitator?
Volunteer Support Group Facilitators helps facilitate our Parenting Support Groups. These support groups are for Parents, Grandparents, and other Kinship Caregivers in different communities throughout BC. Our Groups are based on a self-help, peer support model which provides a safe space for Group members to get together and discuss their strengths, challenges or concerns about their parenting role; builds a supportive network & skills; receives emotional support; develops self-advocacy skills; empowers and boosts self-esteem; and helps create a healthier living environment for all families.
Did you know?
- A network of committed volunteers form the backbone of our Support Group program.
- In 2020-2021 PSS had 109 volunteer facilitators who contributed 3286 hours to our organization.
- The average volunteer commitment to PSS is 26.6 months.
Why should I become a volunteer Support Group Facilitator?
Becoming a Support Group Facilitator will help you connect with and support caregivers and families, build your skills, empower yourself, and become an essential part of our support programs!
How do I apply?
Are You Someone Who?
- Has good listening skills
- Has an interest in supporting parents/caregivers and child relationships
- Has a basic understanding of child development & parenting issues
- Is willing to do some community outreach & development
- Is comfortable with using Zoom for online meetings
- Has good organizational & communication skills
- Can commit to a minimum of 1 year, 3-5 hours a week.
- Can participate in an interview process
Our Free Initial Facilitator Training takes place virtually using a wonderful combination of self-paced learning models and Live Zoom Sessions. Requirements for Online Facilitator Training
- Requirements Internet or WiFi
- Device to use online platform for e-learning
- Interviews and reference checks on an ongoing basis
The training takes on average 20 hours to complete. It includes;
- About 10 hours of self-paced learning which must be completed before the Live Zoom Sessions
- About 10 hours Live Sessions (these are 5 two hour sessions which are scheduled in advance)
Upcoming Live Zoom sessions:
- Oct. 19, 2023 @ 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Oct. 21, 2023 @ 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Oct. 26, 2023 @ 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Next training cycle: Now open!
Self-paced course: Currently on-going
Join the Volunteer Facebook Group
We’ve created a new Volunteer Facebook group where you can learn and share information about province-wide volunteer opportunities at Parent Support Services Society of BC (PSS). As a member, you will receive news and updates regarding upcoming PSS events, socials, programs and more! The group is open to the public so we encourage you to invite, tag, and share the group with your friends, family, and colleagues. We encourage you to give us feedback, share your ideas, and help us continue growing the PSS volunteer community!