Kinship Care Help Line: 604-558-4740 • 1-855-474-9777
Volunteers are essential to our mission.
Board of Directors are also volunteers. We currently have 2 Board positions open! Click here to learn more.
General volunteers assist in our office or help out with events. To find out more please call our Burnaby office at 604-669-1616, email email@example.com or apply here.
Volunteer facilitators are the backbone of our program. These volunteers work with our Parenting Support Circles which meet across the province, in different languages and with diverse caregivers. During COVID-19, our volunteer facilitators are running support circles online. Click here for volunteer facilitator opportunities!
Steering committee members support our Circle Programs by providing knowledge and ideas and connecting with the local communities we serve. Click here for steering committee opportunities!
A network of committed volunteers form the backbone of our Support Circle program.
In 2020-2021 PSS had 109 volunteer facilitators who contributed 3286 hours to our organization.
The average volunteer commitment to PSS is 26.6 months.
Join our Board
Be a part of Parent Support Services Board of Directors, and be involved in the long-term, big-picture mission of PSS.
Current open positions:
- Treasurer – Click here for more details (open until position is filled)
- Member at Large – Click here for more details (open until position is filled)
General Volunteer Opportunities
Be a part of our community of volunteers who are enthusiastic, think big, support our mission and are willing to help us achieve our ambitious goals. Join our committees to be part of the planning, coordinating, and executing of special events & fundraising initiatives!
Current open positions:
- Event Planning Committee Member – (Click here for more details)
- Fundraising Committee Member – (Click here for more details)
Become a Support Circle Facilitator
Next training cycle: Now open!
Self-paced course: Currently on-going
Upcoming Live Zoom sessions (Updated):
- Thursday, May 25th, 2023 from 7:00 to 9:00 pm (2h)
- Saturday, May 27th, 2023 from 9:30 to 11:30 pm (2h)
- Thursday, June 1st, 2023 from 7:00 to 9:00 am (2h)
What is a Support Circle Facilitator?
Volunteer Support Circle Facilitators helps facilitate our Parenting Support Circles. These support circles are for Parents, Grandparents, and other Kinship Caregivers in different communities throughout BC. Our Circles are based on a self-help, peer support model which provides a safe space for Circle members to get together and discuss their strengths, challenges or concerns about their parenting role; builds a supportive network & skills; receives emotional support; develops self-advocacy skills; empowers and boosts self-esteem; and helps create a healthier living environment for all families.
Becoming a Support Circle Facilitator will help you connect with and support caregivers and families, build your skills, empower yourself, and become an essential part of our support programs!
Are you someone who:
- Has good listening skills
- Has an interest in supporting parents/caregivers and child relationships
- Has a basic understanding of child development & parenting issues
- Is willing to do some community outreach & development
- Is comfortable with using Zoom for online meetings
- Has good organizational & communication skills
- Can commit to a minimum of 1 year, 3-5 hours a week.
- Can participate in an interview process
Our Free Initial Facilitator Training takes place virtually using a wonderful combination of self-paced learning models and Live Zoom Sessions.
The training takes on average 20 hours to complete. It includes:
- ~10 hours of self-paced learning which must be completed before the Live Zoom Sessions
- ~10 hours Live Sessions (these are 5 two hour sessions which are scheduled in advance)
Requirements for online facilitator training:
- Internet or WiFi
- Device to use online platform for e-learning
- Interviews and reference checks on an ongoing basis
If you want more information, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call
- 604-669-1616 (Greater Vancouver)
- 1-877-345-9777 (No charge toll free line, Greater Vancouver)
To sign up to be a volunteer facilitator click the button below or visit: bit.ly/pssvolunteers
Join our steering committees
Connect with others, strengthen your community, and make an impact on the lives of others, with opportunities for professional development and networking.
Are you someone who loves to support their local communities? Are you a part of the following communities in the Lower Mainland: Hispanic/Spanish, Chinese, or Filipino? We are looking for Volunteer Steering Committee Members!
Join our volunteer Facebook group
We’ve created a new Volunteer Facebook group where you can learn and share information about province-wide volunteer opportunities at Parent Support Services Society of BC (PSS). As a member, you will receive news and updates regarding upcoming PSS events, socials, programs and more!
The group is open to the public so we encourage you to invite, tag, and share the group with your friends, family, and colleagues. We encourage you to give us feedback, share your ideas, and help us continue growing the PSS volunteer community!